Tuesday 22 January 2013

Fitness is fun?

Before you read this post, I have to tell you that you must consult your health care professional prior to starting any fitness or weight loss routine.


Your chest is pounding and tight, you can feel your heart thumping in your ears, and are waiting for it to make your eardrum explode. You are fighting for breath, covered in sweat.

I think I've just described a bit of a heart attack?

But no. 

It's fitness! 

It's the feeling I force upon myself at least twice a week during Body Step. My limbs are also bright red, and I end up with carpet burn, every time I go. 

But it's fun, right? 

Well, yes and no. 

If you think sweating, heaving bosoms are attractive, you have another thing coming. 

But I love pushing myself. I have recently invested in some (very) expensive shoes and insoles, for my dodgy arches. And also a knee support. I'm an ex-club netballer.

So Sunday I trundled off to class and found myself pushing harder than ever before. 

Was it because it was the last time I'd get to do some of the tracks? Maybe - the new track started 21/1/13.

Was it because the class was packed and I didn't want to seem like a wimp? Nope, there were people coping worse than me, and then there was the instructor who joined the class.

It was because of my knee support! I honestly didn't know how bad my knee was and how much I'd backed off because of a little bit of pain in it. I'm always going to have pain in it, but with the support, I can go a little longer before feeling bad.

But then, Sunday afternoon, I could barely move. I don't do burpees. Waaaay too much strain on aforementioned dodgy knees. So I do the substitute instead - squats.

My quads hate me.

You do realise it is entirely possible for parts of your own body to be so angry with you, they make you want to cry? 

So yes, fitness can be fun. But I make it something a little bit of both. Pain and fun. Guess I'm a bit of a masochist. Maybe. Maybe not. But I like it when it hurts afterwards. It means I've done something. 

But don't do what I do. Check with your healthcare professional. 

While I'm on the topic of fitness, a friend of mine is doing the Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation (12wbt). Her dedication is astounding. So I'd like to give her a shout out. You see, she's blogging about her journey too. And it can be brutally frank and truly inspiring. Head on over to Camilla's 12wbt Journey to read her blog and also "like" her on Facebook for all the updates here: Camilla's 12wbt Journey on Facebook.

I'm also linking up with Essentially Jess for IBOT (I Blog On Tuesday).



3 comments:

  1. Awesome! That you are up and getting fit - I think that is tremendous!
    I 'think' about doing exercise and never really get past that point - maybe one day!
    xx Josefa from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to push myself while working out too! Some hard-core cardio is the best thing ever.

    Visiting from IBOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love exercise! Makes you feel so alive I reckon

    ReplyDelete